This archived episode of Scriptnotes is available to Scriptnotes Premium subscribers only. Sign up or Log in at http://scriptnotes.net
John welcomes independent producer Keith Calder to discuss what a producer actually does, how financing and distribution strategies have changed with streaming, and how to approach film festivals as a filmmaker.
We also answer a listener question about which career path to take after being laid-off: climb the Hollywood ladder or bootstrap and just make films.
- Thanks for joining us, Keith Calder! You can check out his website and wikipedia page.
- Blindspotting comes out this summer. Here is Variety’s review.
- You’re Next and its IMDb page. You can watch it on Amazon now.
- Down Under trailer and IMDb page.
- LiarTown: The First Four Years 2013-2017 by Sean Tejaratchi.
- Eco-Cha Tea Club
- The Scriptnotes Listeners’ Guide!
- The USB drives!
- John August on Twitter
- Keith Calder on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Find past episodes
- Outro by Luke Davis (send us yours!)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 4-2-18: The transcript of this episode can be found here.