This archived episode of Scriptnotes is available to Scriptnotes Premium subscribers only. Sign up or Log in at http://scriptnotes.net
John and Aline welcome Peter Spears, producer of Call Me by Your Name, to discuss how the film came to be, from optioning the novel through its long development and multiple roadblocks.
Through the lens of Call Me by Your Name, we discuss the difficulties of preproduction for an indie film, the process of securing book rights, the opportunities that adaptation presents, and what this movie means in the Hollywood landscape.
- Thanks to Peter Spears for joining us!
- Read the Call Me by Your Name script, watch the movie and read the book.
- Subscribe to Launch at http://wondery.fm/launch or wherever you listen to podcasts.
- You can preorder Arlo Finch in the Valley of Fire and read an excerpt here. Also, John’s book tour dates are available, if you want to say hi!
- The Scriptnotes Listeners’ Guide!
- The USB drives!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- Aline Brosh McKenna on Twitter
- Peter Spears on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Find past episodes
- Outro by Hunter Christensen (send us yours!)
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 2-6-18: The transcript of this episode can be found here.