John and Craig invite writer/director Sarah Polley to discuss her critically acclaimed feature “Women Talking.” They cover twice-removed adaptations, crafting fable-like settings, protecting your audience, and the power of narration.
We also look at “Run Towards the Danger” — the title of Sarah’s book as well as her personal philosophy. We answer a listener question on development and Sarah explains why clarity is kindness.
In our bonus segment, we talk about child actors. Sarah shares her perspective as a former child actor and what it’s like to have her own kids on set.
- Sarah Polley on IMDb and on Instagram
- Women Talking film and novel by Miriam Toews
- Run Towards the Danger: Confrontations with a Body of Memory By Sarah Polley
- Find the Women Talking Script by Sarah Polley here
- The DIY Scientist, the Olympian, and the Mutated Gene by David Epstein for ProPublica
- Mophie 3-in-1 Charger with MagSafe
- Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson
- Till film
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Check out the Inneresting Newsletter
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Timothy Lenko (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 2-12-23 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.