John and Greta Gerwig (writer/director of Little Women and Lady Bird) discuss adaptation, ambition and authorship. With the screenplay in front of them, they look at specific scenes in Little Women and explore how its non-linear timeline changed how the movie works.
We also answer listener questions on writing for the page and starting a family as an aspiring writer.
Craig joins us for the post-credits bonus segment when he shares what it was like winning a Golden Globe for Chernobyl.
- Follow along with the Little Women script in Weekend Read
- Little Women Script
- NYT Article with John and Megana Hollywood Assistants Are Fed Up by Rachel Abrams
- Sign up for Scriptnotes Premium here
- New York in Color Jigsaw Puzzle
- Behave by Robert Sapolsky
- Greta Gerwig
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Jemma Moran (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 1-16-2020 The original transcript for this episode can be found here.