John invites writer/creator Michael Schur (The Office, Parks and Recreation, The Good Place) to discuss the history of comedy, specifically the evolution of the half hour sitcom.
We also cover moral philosophy, working with experts, and coming up with new projects. Mike explains why ‘inside-out’ ideas tend to be more successful shows.
In our bonus segment for premium members John asks Mike about writers room jargon.
- Michael Schur on Twitter
- How to be Perfect by Michael Schur
- Todd May, academic papers here, books here
- The Poscast by Joe Posnanski and Mike Schur
- TV Writers Room Terms
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Nico Mansy (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 8-1-22 The transcript can now be found here.