John and Craig reflect on the traits they’ve noticed in successful writing careers. Should you write everyday? Do you have to be good in a room? Is it more important to be original or flexible?
We also follow up on genres, typos and address a listener question on harassment.
In our bonus segment for premium members, we discuss our preferences in books from paper to bindings to jackets. No shock: we have opinions.
- Dungeons & Dragons Art & Arcana Book
- Heartbreaker and The Breaker Upperers
- Noah Evslin’s pitch for Guild Awards
- Ira Glass on Taste
- Women in Film helpline for sexual harassment and misconduct in the entertainment industry:(855)WIF-LINE (855-943-5463) or reach out online here
- Hometown Takeover
- Standard Ebooks
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Brian Ramos (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 5-23-21 The transcript for this episode can be found here.