John welcomes writer/performer Matt Rogers (Fire Island, Las Culturistas) for a new installment of How Would This Be A Movie. From crypto crashes to lotto longshots, this week they look at money-themed stories in the news and why they’re worth adapting.
Matt shares his background getting started as a comedy writer and tips for non-icky networking. We also answer listener questions on neglectful agents and pitching in drag.
In our bonus segment for premium members: What is culture? John and Matt define and test the bounds of what constitutes culture.
- Matt Rogers on Instagram and Tiktok
- Have You Heard of Christmas? December 2nd on Showtime and on tour, buy tickets here!
- Binance Pulls Out of Deal to Acquire Rival Crypto Exchange FTX by David Yaffe-Bellany for NYT
- Michael Lewis FTX Book
- Billion Dollar Lotto Ticket
- Titanique Musical in New York
- Dialogue episode where we sampled Las Culturistas Scriptnotes Episode 438
- Las Culturistas on Twitter, listen to the podcast here
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Check out the Inneresting Newsletter
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Owen Danoff (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 12-2-22 The transcript for this episode can be found here.