John welcomes Matt Selman, executive producer of The Simpsons, for a deep dive look at the three-year process of developing a single episode from initial idea to the finished product. We discuss the role of the writers room, the table read, producer notes, animatics, and the impact computer animation has had on The Simpsons workflow.
Set in the 90’s, “The Clown Stays in the Picture” spoofs high concept comedies, artist narcissism, creative insecurity, and the magic of movie-making.
- The Simpsons, Season 30, Episode 40:The Clown Stays in the Picture
- Duly Noted, the official Scriptnotes Aftershow hosted by Matt Selman.
- The Defender Shield
- John’s One Cool Thing
- You can now order Arlo Finch in the Lake of the Moon
- Submit entries for The Scriptnotes Pitch Session here.
- T-shirts are available here! We’ve got new designs, including Colored Revisions, Karateka, and Highland2.
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Matt Selman on Twitter
- Find past episodes
- Scriptnotes Digital Seasons are also now available!
- Outro by Matthew Chilelli (send us yours!)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 2-22-19: The transcript of this episode can be found here.