John and Aline Brosh McKenna welcome writing team Dan Gregor and Doug Mand (How I Met Your Mother, Most Likely to Murder, Chip ’n Dale Rescue Rangers) to chat about made-to-stream movies. They discuss the joys of niche IP and how changes in the film landscape have resurrected certain genres.
We follow up on ‘Murder House Architecture’ and the economics of shorter seasons. We also answer listener questions on gender-neutral casting, pilot presentations, and page density.
In our bonus segment for premium members, we discuss life and work with newborns.
- Chip ’n Dale: Rescue Rangers May 20th on Disney+
- Your Place or Mine coming soon!
- Los Angeles Plays Itself
- Presentations versus Pilots
- New York Shuk for Saucy Boys
- Radiooooo App
- Lost Pilot read the script here.
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Dan Gregor on Twitter
- Doug Mand on Twitter
- Aline Brosh Mckenna on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Pedro Aguilera (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 6-1-22 The transcript for this episode can be found here.