John and Craig host another round of the Three Page Challenge, analyzing a range of listener submissions from scripts set in rural Japan to Manhattan strip clubs. They discuss establishing setting, grounding big characters, and introducing narration.
We also take a look at the lecture scene: how it can fall flat and tips for making it work. Then we answer a listener question on whether writers have an ethical responsibility to stop writing conspiracy theory stories.
In our bonus segment for premium members, John invites writer/comedian Sara Schaefer (The Schaefer Shakedown) to discuss her three steps for selling your TV show.
- Courtney Kemp’s Deal at Netflix
- Trey Parker and Matt Stone of South Park Deal
- Hello Sunshine Sale
- Trickster: Night of the Kitsune by Hiroshi Mori
- Martha by Caroline O’Riordan
- The Many Lives of Newton Thomas by Sean Frost
- Collection of TV Scripts
- Circulous Game
- Sara Schaefer’s Twitter Clip
- Schaefer Shakedown
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Andrew Hart (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 8-20-21 The transcript for this episode can be found here.