John and Craig welcome writer/producer/playwright Jack Thorne (The Aeronauts, Wonder, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child) to take a look at making television in the UK and what writers on both sides of the pond can learn from one another.
We discuss disability on and behind screen and tackle listener questions on writing with chronic illness and the responsibility of authorship. We wrap up by taking a look at goals you can control.
In our bonus segment for premium members the guys compare American and British English. They answer tough questions like, is it cultural appropriation if John puts a U in color?
- Jack Thorne’s MacTaggart Lecture
- Jack Thorne Launches Underlying Health Conditions Pressure Group, Publishes Major Report Into Disabled Representation in TV Industry
- 1 in 4 Coalition
- Ashley Nicole Black and Francesca Ramsey Twitter Thread
- Santa Claus: The Movie a celebratory portrayal of Father Christmas
- Wikipedia List of Misconceptions
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Jack Thorne on IMDb
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Nico Mansy (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 1-19-21 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.