John and Craig examine how writers balance the needs of each scene while keeping the entire story in mind. Then it’s another a round of the Three Page Challenge, where we look at scenes submitted by our listeners. We offer advice for gimmicky reveals, honest character reactions, and consistent POV.
Also this week: open writing assignments, and a checklist of what writers need to know before pursuing one.
In our bonus segment for premium members, what to do when you get bored with what you’re writing. Is that a sign to bail or buckle down?
- WGA Introduces Project Page check out the pdf here.
- Follow along with our Three Page Challenges: Firebird by Benjamin Blattberg, The Drawing by Todd William Knack, Perdition by Terry Rietta, Ten Million by Helen Sedwick
- Nite Ize SlapLit LED Slap Wrap
- The New 16 inch MacBook Pro
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription! You can now listen to Scriptnotes Premium on Spotify!
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Ryan Gerberding (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 1-19-21 The transcript for this episode can be found here.