John and Craig zoom out to analyze how the cultural context affects the perception of a movie, and the choices writers have to make.
We look at vaccine mandates for productions and answer listener questions about cheesy writing, zombie references, and diversity fellowships.
Finally in our bonus segment for premium members, we discuss the Black Widow lawsuit and what it means for writers financially.
- Kerri Strug Shouldn’t Have Been Forced to Do That Vault
- Amanda Knox’s twitter thread and Medium article
- Mandatory Vaccinations On Productions An Option Under Return-To-Work Protocols
- Disney to Mandate COVID-19 Vaccinations for All U.S. Staffers
- Netflix To Require Covid Vaccinations For Actors & Other “Zone A” Personnel On Its U.S. Productions
- Little Island by Barry Diller
- Scarlett Johansson’s ‘Black Widow’ Lawsuit Is Game-Changing, But May Be Legally Weak by Eriq Gardner
- Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney Over ‘Black Widow’ Streaming Release on WSJ
- Escape Ops on Calgary
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Caden Brown (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 8-9-21 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.