John and Craig enlist Phoebe Waller-Bridge (Fleabag, Killing Eve) and Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool, The Nines) to break the fourth wall on our first-ever live video Scriptnotes. We discuss when to address the camera, why Deadpool 2 is the saddest movie to watch on a flight, and how to take notes as an actor/writer.
Then we welcome a premium member to play a round of Bad Screenwriting Advice, where we compare internet advice to bogus advice made up by John. We also take listener questions from the Youtube livestream chat on writing with personal experiences and places to find inspiration.
Finally, in our bonus segment John and Craig pull the curtain back to do a post-mortem on the live-show, explaining how we did it and what we learned. Plus the trapped-in-Maldives story that will probably be a movie, and what’s likely going on in Russia.
- Watch the episode here – Scriptnotes Live: Episode 445
- Deadpool and Deadpool 2
- Fleabag and the play to release soon!
- Huge thank you to Phoebe Waller Bridge and Ryan Reynolds!
- Breathing Cartoons by Nathan Pyle
- Anthropocene Reviewed: Auld Lang Syne
- This Country, now on Hulu in the US
- Free Guy
- Drawful on Jackbox Games
- Bonus How Would This Be A Movie, Couple Stranded in Maldives
- Men Who Have Made Love to Me
- Sign up for Scriptnotes Premium here.
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Jon Spurney (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 4-9-2020 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.