John sits down with writer/actor Mindy Kaling (The Office, The Mindy Project, Champions) to talk about her origin story, her big break as Ben Affleck, what it’s like to simultaneously showrun and star in a sitcom, and the nature of half-hour comedies.
We also answer a listener question about point of view and its relationship with genre and medium.
- Thanks to Mindy Kaling for joining us!
- Champions is available to watch on NBC.com.
- You can watch a recording of her play, Matt and Ben, written and performed by Mindy and Brenda Withers. It premiered at the Fringe Festival in New York.
- Keep an eye out for Four Weddings and a Funeral.
- The End of the Fucking World and Godless on Netflix
- The Visitors by Ragnar Kjartansson at The Broad
- The USB drives!
- Mindy Kaling on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Find past episodes
- Scriptnotes Digital Seasons are also now available!
- Outro by Timothy Vajda (send us yours!)
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 8-14-18: The transcript of this episode can be found here.