Craig and John discuss conflict — why it’s bad in real life but essential in screenwriting. We define six forms of conflict common in movies, then look at ways to sustain conflict within a scene and throughout a story.
We also look briefly at Whiplash, both the conflict between its two main characters and the controversy over whether it should be considered an original or an adapted screenplay.
If you can spare the ten seconds it takes, leaving us a rating on iTunes is a great way to help others find Scriptnotes. Thanks!
- Academy & WGA At Odds Over ‘Whiplash’ Screenplay on Deadline
- Snowpiercer: Left or Right on YouTube
- Star Trek: The Next Generation In 40 Hours by Max Temkin
- Weekend Read now has 21 award season scripts (and counting)
- Sous-vide cooking on Wikipedia
- Sansaire home sous-vide macine
- Slow-poached eggs from Momofuku
- Spoiled Brats: Stories by Simon Rich, and its short story Gifted
- Rate us on iTunes and help new listeners find Scriptnotes
- Outro by Scriptnotes listener Jason Young (send us yours!)
You can download the episode here: AAC | mp3.
UPDATE 1-15-15: The transcript of this episode can be found here.