John and Craig return from the holidays to look at the WGA nominations, the perennially high costs of movies, scene headers and acceptable fonts for treatments.
Two reader questions ask how to get career stuff started before an LA move. Are any of the contests worth the bother? Does a great review on the Black List open doors for a writer living in Jerusalem?
Also discussed: resolutions, accepting long time horizons, and not counting chickens.
If you’re listening on the site — or just track-by-track in iTunes — do us a favor and hit Subscribe on our iTunes page. It helps us figure out how many people are new listeners and how many are listening to back-catalog tracks. Thanks!
- 2013 Writers Guild Award nominees
- Chaparral Pro
- The johnaugust.com library
- Austin Film Festival’s screenplay and teleplay competitions
- The Academy Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting
- About the Black List screenwriting service
- Quebec City on Wikipedia
- Poutine on Wikipedia
- Cheese curds on Wikipedia
- Maple, the computer algebra system
- OUTRO: Sabado Merengue by Cabaret Diosa
You can download the episode here: AAC.
UPDATE 1-10-13: The transcript of this episode can be found here.