This archived episode of Scriptnotes is available to Scriptnotes Premium subscribers only. Sign up or Log in at http://scriptnotes.net
John and Craig take a deep dive into scene description, looking at how seven produced screenplays arranged the words on the page. With samples from Aliens, Erin Brockovich, Oceans 11, Unforgiven, Wall-E, Wanted and Whip It, we tackle verbs and metaphors, ellipses and underlining.
You can look at the show notes to see the exact scenes we’re discussing.
Also this week, Paramount has cut a deal with two exhibitors to greatly shorten the window between theatrical and home video on two upcoming releases. We look at why, and what this experiment means for writers in the near and long-term.
- Scriptnotes 200 Episode USB drives are available in the store while supplies last
- Paramount, AMC and Cineplex try new revenue-sharing initiative on The Wrap
- Excerpts from Aliens, Erin Brockovich, Oceans 11, Unforgiven, Wall-E, Wanted and Whip It
- A World Without Work by Derek Thompson
- Outro by Stuart Neville (send us yours!)
UPDATE 7-17-15: The transcript of this episode can be found here.