John and Craig take an extended look at how sound works in movies, and how screenwriters can take advantage of it on the page.
Also this week, advice on naming characters, and what to do when the first cut of your movie is not at all what you had in mind.
- Order your Scriptnotes shirts from The John August Store before Friday
- Get your tickets now for the Big Fish talkback on November 23rd and let us know you’ll be there
- Previous One Cool Thing WinesTilSoldOut did a cool thing for Craig
- John’s 2010 Jessica Alba blog post
- Dolby’s Atmos is one example of why your home theater sound doesn’t compare to the movie theater experience
- Foley on Wikipedia
- Behind the Name breaks down first name popularity by country and year
- Saving Mr. Banks is in theaters this December
- Knock to Unlock lets you unlock your Mac by knocking your iPhone
- Register as an organ donor today
- And register for the Be The Match bone marrow database, too
- Outro by Scriptnotes listener Jonas Bech
UPDATE 11-16-13: The transcript of this episode can be found here.