John and Craig talk homesickness and daddy issues before diving into a discussion on what Rhythm and Hues’s bankruptcy means for the film industry — and similar scenarios screenwriters might face down the road.
Opening the listener mailbag, we answer questions about shop-around agreements, naming minor characters, filmmaker bios, and “being brilliant.”
There’s a special Scriptnotes discount code (SCRIPT) for the first few performances of Big Fish in Chicago. In the podcast, I say that you use the code at checkout, but that’s wrong: use it in the very first screen at Ticketmaster to unlock the balcony seats at a special $26 rate. (Regularly $70+.)
- Big Fish in Chicago at Ticketmaster
- Green Scream: The Decay of the Hollywood Special Effects Industry
- How to handle a phone meeting
- Unfinished Scripts
- What’s the difference between Hero, Main Character and Protagonist? on johnaugust.com
- Play EyeWire and help map the brain
- OUTRO: Big Fish prologue by Andrew Lippa
You can download the episode here: AAC.
UPDATE 3-15-13: The transcript of this episode can be found here.