Craig and John love women and jeopardy, but folks, we gotta stop kidnapping girlfriends as plot devices. We discuss ways to avoid this trope.
In other news, T-Bone Burnett has a great name and strong words about copyright and making a living. Readers have questions about pseudonyms, second acts and breaking the back of a new project. Plus, more terrible managers.
T-shirts are back, starting today! But pre-orders stop November 15th, so don’t dally.
John is hosting a Big Fish talkback on Saturday, November 23rd after the matinee, so use your SCRIPT code to get tickets now.
- The John August Store is open for business!
- Get your Big Fish tickets now, and use discount code SCRIPT (for November 23rd or otherwise)
- John’s post on how we record Scriptnotes
- T-Bone Burnett in the Hollywood Reporter
- Anita Sarkeesian and her Tropes vs Women in Video Games project
- Complex’s The 15 Hottest Damsels In Distress In Movies
- TV Tropes on damsels in distress
- MacGuffins on TV Tropes and Screenwriting.io
- Planet Money podcast
- Planet Money on the American check system
- Craig’s One Cool Thing is John August
- Outro by Scriptnotes listener Matthew Chielli
UPDATE 11-9-13: The transcript of this episode can be found here.