John and Craig talk to an audience of development executives about the experience of getting notes as a writer. They cover the do’s and don’ts of giving notes, ways to motivate writers towards a creative vision, and why these conversations kick in a writer’s fight or flight response.
We take questions from the audience and discuss ‘the bad pitch,’ likable characters, and how to stay friends with a writer after a breakup.
In our bonus segment for premium members, John offers his notes on Drew’s film school thesis as they discuss getting your first movie made.
- Episode 399, Notes on Notes
- Episode 99, Psychotheraphy for Screenwriters
- Episode 394, Broken but Sympathetic with Mari Heller
- Scriptnotes Listeners’ Guide
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Check out the Inneresting Newsletter
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Craig Mazin on Instagram
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- John on Mastodon
- Outro by Mackey Landry (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Drew Marquardt (this episode was originally produced by Megana Rao), and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.