John welcomes Willa Paskin on to discuss Sideways Effect, centering on an episode of her podcast Decoder Ring. Willa looks at how dialogue in the 2004 film upended the red wine industry.
John and Willa then look at other movie moments that have have shaped cultural behavior, including Clark Gable’s missing t-shirt sales and the scene that inspired the name Madison. Willa shares her research and writing process for a nonfiction podcast.
In our bonus segment for premium members, Craig is finally back! We catch him up on what he’s missed and hear what he’s been up to.
- Decoder Ring and the Sideways Effect Episode
- Sideways Movie
- Willa Paskin on Slate and on Twitter
- A “Sideways” Supply Response in California Winegrapes by Travis Lybbert for the Journal of Wine Economics
- Snopes on Clark Gable and Undershirts and Madison Name from the Movie Splash
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Matthew Chilelli (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.