John and Craig take a look at flashbacks: reasons to incorporate them, how to manage nonlinear storylines, and when it’s too late include one.
We cover ‘Side Character Summer’ and three words that ruin a screenwriter’s day. We also answer listener questions on writing partner break-ups, managers, and remote rooms.
In our bonus segment for premium members, we look at the markers of adulthood.
- Kate Bush’s Running Up That Hill reaching number one on the pop charts
- Beyonce’s Break My Soul
- Side Character Summer by Lolaokola on IG
- Jeremiah Lewis’s tweet @fringeblog Ruin A Screenwriter’s Day in Three Words
- Scriptnotes Ep. 10: Good Actors and Bad Writing Partners
- Flashbacks and dreams on the blog
- Reddit’s Cutaway Porn
- Smart AoE
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Sam Brady (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 8-6-22 The transcript for this episode can be found here.