John and Craig weigh in on writing partner romances, voice-y scripts, character chemistry and end-of-draft treats in this week’s listener questions.
We also host a round of How Would This Be A Movie, featuring stories on treasure hunts, jailed activists, and a sports scam. We look at how these news articles would translate to film/television and most importantly, whether they should be adapted at all.
In our bonus segment the guys share hacks for remembering new people and make a pitch for name tags on set.
- Eric Webb’s Twitter and Memorial Fundraiser
- Mystery of the Buried Owl by Phil Hoad for the Guardian
- Rodney Stotts Used to Hustle Drugs in Southeast DC. Now He’s One of the Few Black Master Falconers in America by Rodney Stotts for the Washingtonian
- This lawyer should be world-famous for his battle with Chevron – but he’s in jail by Erin Brockovich for the Guardian
- It Really Wasn’t Cricket: The Strange Case of the Fake Indian Premier League by Sameer Yasir for the NY Times
- Werewords Game
- Tiramisu Recipe in the New York Times
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Sign Up for the Inneresting Newsletter
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Owen Danoff (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 8-9-22 The transcript for this episode can be found here.