John and Craig discuss how the screenplay guides production — not just in what happens, but how it feels. They look at how the words on the page steer and inspire other departments, starting with the very first hires.
We also cover getting in over your head and what it’s like to have no visual imagination.
In our bonus segment for premium members, we wade into the Bad Art Friend discourse.
- Netflix 2-minute Viewership on ScreenRant
- Twitter Thread on Netflix Thumbnails
- Harvey Weinstein Orc in Lord of the Rings
- Dana Covarrubias explains “What the Clothes in Only Murders in the Building Say About the Show’s Characters” in Slate Working Podcast
- Many People Have a Vivid Mind’s Eye While Others Have None at All on the NYT
- LA County Adopt A Family
- Bad Art Friend by Robert Kolker
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Layn Pieratt (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 10-10-21 The transcript for this episode can be found here.