John welcomes back screenwriter Ryan Knighton (In the Dark) to discuss taking out a project as a pitch versus just writing it as a spec.
Then we hear from listeners about the ideas they’re considering pitching vs speccing and offer our advice. We also look at the Academy’s new requirements for Best Picture, and whether they’ll have an impact on inclusion in Hollywood.
Finally, in our bonus segment for premium members, Ryan explains his plans to train for the open adaptive surfing games.
- Academy Awards Inclusions Standards for Best Picture
- Film Academy Inclusion Standards Diversity
- Ryan Knighton
- Crackdown Podcast
- Get a Flu Shot!
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Ryan Knighton on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Lachlan Marks (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 9-18-20 The transcript for this episode can be found here.