Craig and John take an extensive look at best practices when coming in to rewrite an existing script. How do you take the reins when you weren’t the first screenwriter? Whether you’re starting over at page one or executing some surgical fixes, we discuss the psychology and reality of being the subsequent writer.
Then it’s a look at how film schedules work. The translation from screenplay to shooting schedule can be brutal, but a smart writer (or writer-director) can help the budgeting team make clever choices to make the best film. We offer pointers to help navigate compromises inherent in trying to go from page to plan to production.
Scriptnotes t-shirts are being printed this week. Thanks to everyone who pre-ordered a shirt. We’ll have them out the door beginning the second week in October, in time for the Austin Film Festival.
- You Must Remember This: MGM Stories, Part 1 guest starring Craig Mazin
- Joss Whedon, Drew Goddard & Lionsgate Get $10M ‘Cabin In The Woods’ Suit Tossed, and Substantial similarity on Wikipedia
- Here’s why The Rock’s new HBO show, ‘Ballers,’ can legally use NFL logos without the league’s consent on Business Insider
- Streisand effect on Wikipedia
- Movie Magic Scheduling
- Escape Room LA
- You’re the Worst on FXX, and on Hulu
- Catastrophe on Amazon Prime Instant Video
- Outro by Matthew Chilelli (send us yours!)
UPDATE 9-25-15: The transcript of this episode can be found here.