John and Craig look at some of the least helpful notes screenwriters receive, and strategies for dealing with them.
Then it’s a look at novelists who adapt their own books into screenplays, and the pros and cons involved.
In the premium feed over at scriptnotes.net, you’ll find two bonus episodes: the live Three Page Challenge from Austin 2015, and my interview with The Martian screenwriter Drew Goddard for the Writers Guild Foundation.
- The Austin Film Festival
- Sign up for a premium subscription at scriptnotes.net for access to bonus episodes, like this week’s 2015 Austin Three Page Challenge and John’s interview with Drew Goddard
- Man Up on Wikipedia and Apple Trailers, and writer Tess Morris on IMDb and Twitter
- 2015 Nicholl Screenwriting Awards: Andrew Friedhof on YouTube
- Follow John’s progress on his NaNoWriMo profile
- Los Angeles Times on Melissa Mathison
- Against Subtlety from Slate
- Herman Melville’s Bartleby, the Scrivener on Project Gutenberg, and the interactive, annotated version from Slate
- The Room Three from Fireproof Games
- Outro by Matthew Chilelli (send us yours!)
UPDATE 11-13-15: The transcript of this episode can be found here.