John and Craig spend the hour discussing the number one topic whenever screenwriters are done complaining about studio notes: the end of the world, and how to get ready for it.
From zombies to asteroids to plagues, we make so many movies and TV shows about the extinction of the human race. But why? What is it about the Death of Everything that is so appealing to writers, and how should we approach the genre when beginning on a new story? This is an episode about that.
We’re considering making new Scriptnotes t-shirts, but only if listeners really want them. Click over to johnaugust.com and vote.
- 2014’s WGA Candidate Night is September 3rd
- Jaye P. Morgan is still alive
- Get tickets now for October 8th’s live Slate Culture Gabfest with guests John and Craig
- The Knowledge: How to Rebuild Our World from Scratch by Lewis Dartnell
- Boxed Water is better
- Waze gets you there with real-time help
- Outro by Orbit (send us yours!)
UPDATE 9-4-14: The transcript of this episode can be found here.