This archived episode of Scriptnotes is available to Scriptnotes Premium subscribers only. Sign up or Log in at http://scriptnotes.net
In episode four of Scriptnotes, Craig and I discuss migraines, kidney stones and zombie apocalypse preparations before we segue to the main topic: how screenwriters work with directors, from the first meeting to on-set etiquette to giving notes in post.
Screenwriters and directors often come at a project from different directions. The writer is trying to explain the movie he’s already written; the director is trying to explore the movie he’s planning to make.
By understanding what a director wants and needs, you stand the best chance of getting your movie on screen in a way that satisfies both of you.
- The wikipedia article on migraines
- What you need to know about kidney stones
- My post on zombie-class situations
- Words that Always Look Wrong
- Intro: ABC Sunday Night Movie intro to Superman, 1982
- Outro: “All Alone” by John the Conqueror
You can download the episode here: AAC.
UPDATE 9-24-11: The transcript of this episode can be found here.