John and Craig talk romantic comedies with screenwriter Tess Morris, whose film Man Up is unapologetically part of the genre.
We discuss what distinguishes rom-coms from other comedies, and why they get singled out for disdain and death-of articles.
Also this week: Amazon Storywriter, overused dicks, and follow-up on Whiplash.
This episode originally aired on November 24, 2015.
- Amazon Storywriter and Fountain
- Scriptnotes, 224: Whiplash, on paper and on screen
- Tess Morris on IMDb and Twitter, and Man Up on Wikipedia and Rotten Tomatoes
- Why Are Romantic Comedies So Bad? by Christopher Orr
- CinemaBlend’s 30 Best Romantic Comedies Of All-Time
- The New Yorker on Nick Bostrom
- Wait But Why on The Fermi Paradox
- Fallout 4, and on Amazon
- The Vista Theatre
- T-shirts are available here! We’ve got new designs, including Colored Revisions, Karateka, and Highland2.
- The USB drives!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Find past episodes
- Scriptnotes Digital Seasons are also now available!
- Outro by Jon Spurney (send us yours!)
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.