John and Craig pay their respects to Harold Ramis with an episode devoted entirely to Groundhog Day.
Ramis and co-writer Danny Rubin fashioned a deceptively simple story that upended expectations and essentially created a new genre of supernatural predicament comedies. Often imitated but never surpassed, Groundhog Day is smarter than you remember, cleverly side-stepping logic traps to explore deeper philosophical questions.
So grab your toaster and give Ned Ryerson a hug. It’s time to relive Groundhog Day.
- Chicago Tribune’s Harold Ramis obituary
- Ramis on Wikipedia
- Groundhog Day on Amazon and Wikipedia
- How to Write Groundhog Day by Danny Rubin
- Warner Bros. Logo Design Evolution compiled by Christian Annyas
- Shogun by James Clavell
- Outro by Scriptnotes listener Jonas Bech
UPDATE 3-6-14: The transcript of this episode can be found here.