John and Craig welcome VFX supervisor Alex Wang (The Last of Us) and VFX producer/writer Addie Manis (Foundation) to pull back the (green screen) curtain on the visual effects production process.
We ask the VFX experts to break down a sample scene, line by line to explain how they’d turn scene description into an actual scene. From their first read to the edit, they describe how the script guides the visual language for their projects.
In our bonus segment for premium members, John and Craig talk about friends, both how to make them and how to keep them.
- Follow along with the sample scene here.
- Alex Wang on IMDb
- Addie Manis on IMDb and Twitter
- The Perils of Audience Capture by Gurwinder Bhogal
- Craig’s Favorite Laser Pointer
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Check out the Inneresting Newsletter
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Aguilera (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 8-30-22 The transcript for this episode can be found here.