John and Craig discuss Damon Lindelof’s interview about how plot stakes have escalated lockstep with budget, perhaps to the point of absurdity.
Then it’s a look at why screenwriters get the note to “spell things out,” and the situations in which it’s okay or troubling to have characters speak story points. Finally, we tackle the media’s obsession with Hollywood’s demise, and why you never read a story about “what went right.”
All this, plus hedge funds, Big Fish discounts and crossword magic in the new Scriptnotes.
- Scriptnotes First 100 Episodes flash drives are available until Friday, 8/16
- Daniel Loeb’s Variety interview
- Vulture: Star Script Doctor Damon Lindelof Explains the New Rules of Blockbuster Screenwriting
- Use discount code SCRIPT for a deal on select Big Fish on Broadway tickets (And be sure to tweet or email Stuart and let him know when you’ll be there)
- David Kwong’s crossword puzzle magic will blow your mind
- Outro by Scriptnotes listener Bryan Duke
UPDATE 8-15-13: The transcript of this episode can be found here.