Craig and John look at why certain genres of movies — mid-budget thrillers, adult dramas and romantic comedies — aren’t getting made, and whether there’s any way to get them back.
We also look at Apple Music, and what streaming means for screenwriters. Finally, we chart the screenwriter’s job from pitch to premiere, and how few of those steps are actually paid.
Big news: we have brand-new USB drives with the entire Scriptnotes catalog available at store.johnaugust.com. Quantities are limited, so don’t delay.
- Scriptnotes 200 Episode USB drives are available now!
- Ben Affleck to Produce FIFA Scandal Film for Warner Bros.
- Scriptnotes, 194: Poking the Bear
- Is Hollywood Making Too Many Movies?
- Betteridge’s law of headlines
- STX Entertainment and on Wikipedia
- To Apple, Love Taylor
- Taylor Swift Scuffle Aside, Apple’s New Music Service Is Expected to Thrive
- Supreme Court Ruling Makes Same-Sex Marriage a Right Nationwide
- Neil Gaiman’s advice for getting idea on paper
- Outro by Rajesh Naroth (send us yours!)
UPDATE 7-2-15: The transcript of this episode can be found here.