John and Craig discuss open writing assignments, and how to best pitch to producers and studios looking to hire a writer for a specific property. Most of the work happens before you set foot in the room, so proper planning is essential.
Then we take a look at the controversy over white actors playing roles that could have gone to Asian actors, and how screenwriters can (and can’t) improve the situation.
- Scriptnotes, 247: The One with Lawrence Kasdan
- Scriptnotes Bonus: Jungle Book Q+A, with screenwriter Justin Marks
- The Making of The Jungle Book on YouTube
- Being An Asian Actor Is Hard Even Without Scarlett Johansson Taking Your Roles
- Students Invented Gloves That Can Translate Sign Language Into Speech And Text
- Hands In Wheat on Twitter, and Women laughing alone with salad, Women struggling to drink water, and Baby CMO
- Outro by Jonathan Mann (send us yours!)
You can download the episode here.