John and Craig examine why and how writers need to make bad things happen to their characters, and the ways in which hero suffering differs between features and television.
We also answer listener questions about WGA jurisdiction, becoming a signatory, timing a script for television, and why all scripts aren’t available online.
- Tickets are on sale for the Holiday Live Show!
- The Team America: World Police puke scene, with some bad language
- The opening of Finding Nemo
- Aslan’s sacrifice in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
- Can We Stop Suicides? by Moises Velasquez-Manoff for the New York Times
- The environment in Red Dead Redemption 2
- T-shirts are available here! We’ve got new designs, including Colored Revisions, Karateka, and Highland2.
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Find past episodes
- Scriptnotes Digital Seasons are also now available!
- Outro by Michael O’Konis (send us yours!)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 1-2-19: The transcript of this episode can be found here.